None shall be denied
Cipla has been committed to the cause of HIV/AIDS for over two decades. In our crusade against the disease, we have developed over 15 single and combination medicines that revolutionized HIV therapy, not just in India but across the world.
In 2001, we introduced the world’s first ever recommended 3-in-1 fixed dose combination (Stavudine + Lamivudine + Nevirapine) to fight AIDS. It was made available at less than $1 per day compared to over $12,000 per patient per year prevailing in most countries throughout the world. It lifted the death sentence from millions across the developing world. We have also done pioneering work in pediatric HIV and addressed the needs of every kind of HIV patient, from pregnant mothers to babies and from children to adults.
Not surprising that today around 1 million patients in the world are on our antiretrovirals, and with regular therapy they can live for years and lead a near normal life. Besides, our world class scientific resources and educational platforms are helping physicians across India and the world manage the disease effectively. We have even given our support to the development and dissemination of guidelines for the medical community in India.
A commitment beyond compare
- In the early 1990s, India witnessed an alarming increase in the number of AIDS cases. We launched Zidovudine, an antiretroviral at 1/10th of the price available in international markets. Subsequently Lamivudine and Stavudine were launched.
- Nevirapine was launched in 2000 and this completed the availability of triple therapy manufactured in India.
- In 2001,we developed the world’s first 3-in-1 recommended fixed dose combination (Stavudine + Lamivudine + Nevirapine) to fight HIV/ AIDS. This amazing breakthrough overcame many challenges: it ensured adherence, lessened pill burden and it was affordable and available to all at less than a ‘Dollar a Day’. It was the first anti-AIDS cocktail that brought the cost of treatment down from $12,000 per patient per year to around $300. Enabling millions across the developing world access to life-saving therapy.
- We have pioneered the development of child-friendly, 3-in-1 pediatric formulations like dispersible fixed-dose combinations for babies and children with HIV/ AIDS.
- We launched a first-of-its-kind ‘Mother-Baby Pack’ containing an entire range of antiretroviral drugs to prevent mother to child transmission of HIV/ AIDS.
- We have 7 world firsts for adults and 5 for children.
- We have the world’s widest range of antiretroviral products approved by WHO, US FDA…
- 25 of our antiretrovirals are approved under PEPFAR and pre-qualified by WHO.
- We make 16 antiretroviral drugs for first line, second line and third line. And over 40 different packs: 2-in-1 Fixed Dose Combinations, 3-in-1 Fixed Dose Combinations / kits and liquids. Today our range covers about 70-80% of available anti-AIDS drugs.
- We have created awareness about Post Exposure Prophylaxis (PEP) for healthcare workers.
- Our antiretrovirals are supplied to more than 115 countries and various Ministries of Health worldwide, including the Government of India and international aid agencies like UNICEF, UNITAID, Clinton Foundation, MSF, IDA, PAHO...
Our fight against HIV/ AIDS has increased accessibility worldwide. And with our continued commitment to research and development the world can look forward to further progress in our fight against HIV/ AIDS.