Cipla's Research & Development (R&D) is focused towards developing new products, improving existing products as well as drug delivery systems and expanding product applications. Hundreds of scientists work on all facets of pharmaceutical development and technology.
In-house R&D forms the backbone of our operations. With almost 5-6% of the company turnover being invested towards R&D each year, our strategy focuses on:
- Developing new drug formulations for existing and newer drug substances
- Improving processes for existing API and formulation products
- Developing new drug delivery systems for existing and newer active drug substances, as well as newer medical devices, mainly in the area of respiratory medicine
- Tie-ups with independent research teams to develop new products
- Strengthening our intellectual property, including the patenting of new products, drug delivery systems and medical devices, mainly in the area of respiratory medicine
- Conducting clinical and bio-equivalence studies for obtaining regulatory approvals for new products and services
In addition, for our international business, our R&D team works with our strategic partners to file Drug Master Files (DMFs) and Abbreviated New Drug Applications (ANDAs) in the US, and seek marketing authorizations in Europe and file product registrations in other jurisdictions.
We have earned a name for maintaining world-class quality across all our manufacturing units, products and services. We have consistently introduced more than 40 products annually, over the last decade.
We have been granted about 100 patents. Patent filing includes drug substances, drug products, platform technologies, IP on polymorphs and crystallinity, and medical devices.
We also leverage our R&D efforts to provide our customers with technical dossiers, plant layouts for pharmaceutical product manufacturing, development of processes and regulatory batches.
Cipla's pool of Innovation
Cipla has over 2000 products in 65 therapeutic categories available in over 40 dosage forms, including:
- Liposome Injection
- Microsphere Injection
- Topical Delivery System
- Inhalation Technology:
- Metered-Dose Inhaler
- Dry Powder Inhaler & Respiratory Solutions
- Nasal Drug Delivery
- Ophthalmic Solutions
- Pre-filled Syringe
- Hormone Injection
- Melt Extrusion & Hot Melt Granulation
- Particle Engineering